Bohemian Pilsner


The next few weeks are supposed to be cold. Lows in 20's and highs of 35f. I've never really been able to brew lagers at home because they ferment cool, around 45-57f. The basement where I'm living right now has been staying steady at 50-55f during the winter. I've been able to brew a couple lagers so far and I'm happy to brew another before temperatures start rising and I won't be able to brew anymore lagers this season at home. The other four lagers I've brewed this year are 'lagering'. The word lager by the way translated in German means 'to store'. Lagers are beers brewed to store and mature before drinking. The lighter and more subtle flavors of most lagers leaves little for the brewer to hide behind. Leaving only the ingredients and skill of the brewer to be judged. I prefer to brew and drink ales but lagers are a fun new challenge, weather permitting.

The Bohemian Pilsner, first brewed in 1842 was the original clear, light colored beer. I'm using Wyeast Bohemian Lager 2124 for a classic crisp pilsner flavor. Brewed with German pilsner malt and American pale two row.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, sounds great! I wish I'd made a few more lagers last winter, it was very cold & snowy here in Seattle. Quite the opposite this year (mild). Glad you're taking advantage of it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right on! I brewed up a Czech Pilsner last weekend from Northern Brewer and it looks pretty weird for a golden lager. I'm going to give it a try though anyway, like you said, time is running out.

    My basement,underneath the stairs sits at about 50 degrees during the winter. If I move it deeper in along an outside wall onto the cement I think it would go into the 40's easy. So I may not be able to step it down 2 degrees a day or whatever but I'm going to give it a try anyway.

    You can see on my in my fifth attempt how weird my Pilsner looks. Have any thoughts on that?

    Homebrewing Blog

    Mike
    Mike's Brew Review

    ReplyDelete